Island knowledge, national expertise
Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning on the IOW
Our dedicated team has an in-depth understanding of the often complex laws surrounding Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning.
We will provide a quality, sensitive, highly-practical service to our private law clients, guiding you through the options available to you in plain-English, after having developed an understanding of your requirements and wishes.
- Our team has over 43 years of collective experience in delivering high-quality work in all matters relating to wills and estate administration.
- Providing the best advice and getting the best outcome for our clients is of paramount importance for us and so we invest heavily in additional training. All of our Solicitors are members of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners which is an organisation of professionals specialising in Wills and Estate Administration.
- Most of our Solicitors are also members of the Solicitors for the Elderly Group and the team has membership with the Law Society Probate Section which provides regular and relevant training updates on all probate and will matters. In addition, the Head of the Department is a Chartered Tax Adviser and the firm is accredited under the Law Society Wills and Inheritance Tax Quality Scheme.
The team deals with estates of all sizes and complexities. We also have particular expertise in high-value estates including estates for that hold business and agricultural assets and may benefit from agricultural and or business property reliefs. Other areas of specialism include inheritance tax and trusts.
Astonishingly, more than 70% of the British population aged over 18 years do not have a valid Will.
- Dying without a Will (or dying intestate as it is known), can cause enormous stress and possible conflict between your loved ones.
- It will also result in your estate being dispersed according to the rules of intestacy, rather than being divided as you would have wished.
We will take the time to listen to your intentions and draft a valid Will that accurately reflects how you wish your estate to be divided upon your death.
We are experienced in advising people on setting up a trust to protect their family's wealth for future generations. Trust law is notoriously complex; however, you can rely on our Private Client Team clearly explain the legal details relating to setting up a trust and guide you on making practical decisions to ensure the trust you create provides the right benefits to the right people.
The rapid rise in house prices over the past twenty years has resulted in many people facing the issue of inheritance tax being applied to their estate. With careful planning and preparation, your tax obligations may be reduced.
We will advise you on your potential inheritance tax obligations and how you can minimise them through gifting, setting up a Family Trust, and taking advantage of the new Residential Nil Rate Tax Band.
For expert legal advice and quality, friendly service, please contact us to make an appointment with one of our Private Client solicitors.
"Thank you for the wonderful advice your firm gave us. We will have no hesitation in contacting you should we need any help in the future."
— Client, Isle of Wight
"Thank-you again - you really have been amazing and so helpful and I’m extremely grateful."
"Parisa - Thank you so much for all that you have done for me, your kindness and patience have made my claim so much easier and explaining everything to me has helped so much. Thank you again."
— Client, Isle of Wight
"Thank you for the wonderful advice Claudia gave us. We will have no hesitation in contacting you should we need any help in the future."
"The service I received was second to none. I will of course happily recommend you to others."
"Thank you to Parisa, who phoned me this morning. She was absolutely brilliant, provided crystal clear advice and put my mind at rest. For months I've wondered whether or not I should consult a solicitor and I now feel that I can move forward."